21 June 2011, Pre-conference A-LIEP 2011
Target Audience: This workshop is intended for:
- Librarians and Information Service (LIS) professionals interested in learning about RSS feeds as a new media application.
- Reference and Information services librarians wanting to enhance their efficiency and effectiveness in the dissemination and delivery of information.
- Anyone wanting to learn more about RSS Feeds.
Expected Outcomes of the Workshop
Upon completion of the workshop participants will be able to:
- Design, develop and implement an RSS service
- Transfer knowledge and skills to their workplace
- Promote and market the service to their stakeholders through this media.
The facilitator will employ lectures, group discussions and hands-on activities. The workshop is divided into three broad aspects as can be seen from the program outline below.
Current Awareness Services Then and Now: Leveraging on the
“What’s out there” Web 2.0 Technologies
Overview of new media applications currently available and
being used in library and information services
Demystifying RSS Feeds
Tea / coffee
Using Google Reader to Set Up and Create RSS Feeds
*Participants will benefit from this Hands-On if they have a
Gmail or Google account. Create a Free Account here:
RSS Feeds in MS Outlook
Lunch 1400-1645 :
Packaging, Promoting and Marketing your RSS Service to your
Converting the uninitiated: Selling your ideas to technophobes 1645-1700 :
Tea / coffee